Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Moving Foward

Yo. It's Kyle this time. Can I get serious wit' y'all for a second? Okay I'll drop that, but really now...

Today in my Intro to Mass Communications class, we talked about books. Not a particular book, just books in general. The medium of books. We talked about how some people are choosing to replace their books with e-book readers. Like one of these:

Get out of mine.
We had a discussion in class about which we would prefer. The majority of the class said they would prefer to have an actual book instead of an e-book, myself included. One girl raised her hand and said something to the affect of "There's nothing like curling up with an actual book, turning the pages, and feeling intellectual." Now this got me thinking about something else that I have recently come to find out.

As someone who is a pretty big music fan, I couldn't help but notice some comparisons to how we get and listen to music to what is happening with books right now. I have recently taken up an affinity for vinyl records. I have found as a music lover that, like having an actual book, having an actual record to put on a turntable is somehow just more appealing and satisfying. Not to mention having the cover (the casing) to look at while you listen.

It's interesting that so many people in my generation would be uneasy giving up books, but most would never consider going back to records over an iPod. If you were really hardcore about it, you could go completely vinyl. Many quality artists still release albums in that format as well as on CD or digitally.
Here's proof, ladies.
Now, I have an iPod and I use it all the time. It's great to be able to have a huge library of songs that I can take anywhere I want very easily. The same would go for an e-reader. It's a perfect if you have many different books and are taking a trip. There are benefits to both.

Just my musings for a bit. You don't have to agree or anything, it's the point of a blog. We write whatever we want. Fool. So, um, like, I'll see you around...

1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!!!!

    ReplyDelete